1. FIRST STEP – ASK YOURSELF – Do I need an Appraisal or an Evaluation?
An evaluation is a quick and easy way to determine the fair-market value of your records or memorabilia. An evaluation is perfect if you want to sell your material or just know what it is worth. Working from your list of items, we provide a detailed document with a range of average potential market values. You’ll be able to tell whether you have something worth $1.00, $10.00, $100.00, or more. This process is quicker and less expensive than a formal appraisal, and is most useful in estimating what a sale to a dealer might bring. Please contact us for more information.
An appraisal is needed when you have a legal purpose such as insurance, tax or property issue. It is a legal document accepted and needed by the IRS and the court system. An appraisal is usually done for donation and property settlement issues.
2. SECOND STEP – PUT A LIST TOGETHER with these four pieces of information:
- Band or Artist’s name (Last name, first name)
- Title of the Album: (or Song Title if it’s a 45 or 78)
- Record Company Name
- Catalog Number: Found on corner of front cover and /or on the spine